Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Doomsday Clock 12

There is a war between optimism and pessimism, a childlike joy triggered by how wonderful things can be and then there is an awe and fascination in how terrible things can be, a desire to see the old ways shattered and hell let loose. But does that describe Doomsday Clock #12, or does it describe what has happened in DC Comics since Rebirth? Or does it describe both, with the two situations delivering up opposite outcomes? And which will lay the ground for 2020 and beyond?

Ordinarily, I would respond to an issue of this series by going into the small details and see where they are going. As the previous eleven issues, as well as DC Rebirth #1 and "The Button" and various crossovers like the Mr. Oz subplot beforehand ticked by at a remarkably leisurely pace, those small clues pointed us towards the end, an end which in many broad strokes – the JSA and the Kents returning; Superman turning Dr. Manhattan "good" – was visible from the outset. Other details led my prognostications, anyway, onto wrong paths and dead ends; perhaps there were some red herrings in some places, but then again, maybe some plans were changed. In many ways, we don't know, at the conclusion of issue #12, how things end because we ought to be wondering, is Doomsday Clock a turning point in DC's plans or is it a now-out-of-continuity story from a writer who has lost favor during the slow roll of this long, long running miniseries? I will post again on DC #12, looking into the small details, in the days to come. But as I reach the end of this issue, I find myself thinking most about the big picture, and that's what I discuss here.

Without unpacking them, I'll chronicle a list of plot points that I found relatively surprising: That the Superman-Manhattan meeting began as backdrop to a continuing attack on Superman from various villains. That Johnny Thunder had no significant role in saving the day. That the LSH and Superman's career as Superboy were affirmed while Bendis' LSH series seems to have taken a different path. That Veidt's plan prevailed and was not interrupted by Batman or anyone. That Johns provided an expansion of the Multiverse, placing old familiar timelines into the "Earth-" + number scheme. That Johns would flash-forward through the future of DC's reboots "predicting" many future years' worth of stories and hint at this continuing for over 900 more years. That Dr. Manhattan will get to live a non-superpowered life as a married man, a bit like the ending that Alan Moore gave Superman in Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

In many respects, there were no major surprises at all. Superman's goodness prevailed and as far back as DC #5, I posited, "Veidt will likely… orchestrate a meeting between Superman, the DCU's symbol of hope, and Dr. Manhattan. But to what end, and to what intended end? Veidt sees the DCU in stark terms, and his only goal is to get Dr. Manhattan to return to his own universe and save it." That was a bit over one and a half years ago – the ending of Doomsday Clock was visible from farther out than any of DC's previous events have even lasted in their entirety!

But as the story ends, I find myself noting the possible dissonance between Johns' prognostication and what I see in much of the rest of DC's output, and I don't mean on mere small plot points (are the Kents alive again?).

Watchmen delivered up a worldview in which superheroes couldn't possibly be the sunshiny and beneficial saviors of a world, at least not one interestingly like ours. Johns, we could see from early on, was going to show the darkness of Moore's vision being illuminated and vanquished by the unstoppable optimism of Superman. On the page, in his own story, and his own miniseries, Johns had the power to make that happen. But what about the rest of DC's superhero comics? What about, as it was dubbed two weeks ago, the Depressoverse? DC has called 2019 "The Year of the Villain." Their flagship character in the making is Harley Quinn. The demonic force behind the scenes of several titles' stories is The Batman Who Laughs. While Johns' story tells us that Superman prevails in the long run, are DC's other stories – are the sales figures – telling us that characters with morality closer to that of the Comedian and Rorschach prevailing in their future output? Was the year of the villain a harbinger of many more years of the villain to come, or is it ending now to deliver up something closer to Johns' vision than to Snyder's? I reach the last page of Doomsday Clock more curious than ever to see how the story will end. We'll start to find out in 2020.

23 comments:

  1. I felt this was a solid and satisfying ending. I really enjoyed seeing the JSA characters return, I started to get emotional when I saw Cyclone on the page, as well as Yolanda Montez. I loved to see the Kents brought back, and I thought the whole section of the issue restating the history of the "metaverse" was really cool and interesting. (the prediction of a future crossover with Marvel was interesting) We now know this series takes place prior to the bulk of the current Justice League storyline, as well as before several other current major DC storylines. But the details you point out that don't match up are curious and hopefully DC addresses them.
    I can't believe Doomsday Clock is finally over! I think it was a good story that attempted to address a lot of current event issues, and was overall successful. Dr Manhattan being the true force behind the post-Flashpoint "New 52" will, to me, always be a brilliant and satisfying retcon. I am really looking forward to seeing where things go from here.
    Thank you for the awesome analysis that always enhances the enjoyment of my experience with the story. I hope you continue to post even though Doomsday Clock is over, and I look forward to the next longform story that grips us as much as Grant Morrison's Batman run and the Rebirth/Doomsday Clock saga has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way back when Rebirth started, and I I can't recall the source, the current storylines all were to have taken place AFTER Doomsday Clock. That was before the long delays. DC#1 still has Superman w/o the trunks.

      Delete
    2. Clearly a large number of the rebirth storylines took place before Doomsday Clock, such as the Button etc.

      Delete
    3. I agree with you. But what I read was long before DC even went to bi-monthly, never mind no schedule whatsoever. DC is publishing a REBIRTH/THE BUTTON hardcover. I think by the fifth issue of DDC all bets were off. Snyder put the JSA in JL. At one point, I'm sure they thought DDC would have ended.

      In comic time, TB and DDC might have taken up only a week or two in time.

      Delete
  2. It would appear that compromises were made. A story this intricate in detail doesn't suddenly drop the Johnny Thunder angle. A story meant to steer the future of the DCU doesn't wind up leaving contradictions dangling. It would appear the inability of the creators to deliver this story within a reasonable time span (12 to 15 months) led DC and its other creators to move on. This is still a story worthy of scrutiny and thought and praise. But its impact has been neutered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sequence where Doc Manhattan describes a life with Janey and without his transformation is a daydream by Jon, and doesn't actually happen. It's one of his final thoughts before he transfers the last of his power to the watchmen earth and the watchmen clark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonny, the sequence of flashforwards was particularly interesting, and the Marvel crossover reminded me of Busiek's JLA/Avengers; it also cleverly avoided any specific Marvel copyrights. It moreover reminded me of how Johns wrapped up his banner GL run, by summing up Hal's entire career.

    I, too, hope that a story equally worthy of commentary comes down the pike soon. I haven't said much about Morrison's GL, King's Batman, or Bendis' Superman, but I'm enjoying all of those. Otherwise, I haven't been reading much from DC besides going back to read the old stuff. I hope the Depressoverse takes a back seat in 2020, but it's been selling well, so why would it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully "The Three Jokers" lives up the anticipation as well

      Delete
  5. MW10E, I wonder what changes were made. Obviously, changes were made to other stories and other plans; that would have been inevitable. As much as I felt that the Thunderbolt had to come into play, I am curious if there was ever a plan to use it to bigger effect. It seemed like a fizzle to something that had been much built-up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The (vastly superior IMHO) Watchmen Tv series/sequel kind of stole this series thunder too. I do hope DC explains how this book fits into current DCU though. Otherwise its destined to be apocryphal despite its strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rikdad: Johnny Thunder aside, I don't really get the purpose of The Comedian. Use him to show that DM re-created his universe? In a way, one can say he was there for Superman to fight a cosmic being while Batman did/does the same with non-powered characters. But I still felt like his ending in the comic seemed rushed.

    ReplyDelete

  8. I have so many unanswered questions. Why did Manhattan revive Jor-El, why did he keep the flashpoint universe, why did he kill Pandora, why did he save the comidian? Why defeat foreign metaumans would resolve international tensions, especially Russian ones? How did Johnny Thunder know about Alan's lanpara and why did he need it? Where are night owl and silk spectrum? Why did the legion return to the present to allude to superman? Where is John, should he help his father?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did Johnny Thunder know about Alan's lantern and why did he need it? Why did the legion (
      more specifically Saturngirl) travel to the present originally?

      Delete
  9. I think at some point, years from now, we'll learn of how DDC was actually meant to end before editorial edict came to play.

    My only takeaway from this Metaverse as it is is that each new appearance of Superman is what changes each version of the Legion. The rest of #12 is like trying to understand S3 of TWIN PEAKS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty high compliment. S3 of Twin Peaks is probably the best TV of the decade imo.

      Delete
    2. I can go either way with TP S3, though overall I really enjoyed it. But it felt like certain events were missing but once we figured out the right answer (or one of them) then it was fine. So while DDC was good, we'll either see remaining questions (the Thunderbolt and the lamp) answered in other books by other writers or we won't and will have to figure it out on our own.

      Delete
  10. "stories like Doomsday Clock, for example, this has a huge sort of connection to that, and is very much meant to honor and build on that story." -- DC Death Metal (Metal Sequel) will tie directly into Doomsday Clock.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/how-death-metal-became-a-dc-teams-biggest-story-1278849

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Rikdad, I just came to say that I hope you are staying safe and healthy, wherever you may be. I reread the entire Final Crisis omnibus over the last couple weeks of self-isolation and it had me rereading your excellent analysis on it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Yes, I am staying healthy, thank you, and I hope the same for you. I have written quite a bit of content without posting it, and I'll post about that soon!

      Delete
  12. Rikdad, surely you must have more to sayabout Doomsday Clock. But while we're sheltered, I would be eager to read an examination of Westworld from you, as I think you'd e very insightful in examining it's structure and themes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I watched the first season of Westworld avidly, coming in late, but bingeing to catch up before the end. It was fascinating. I felt like some of the major reveals were obvious, but it was fun nonetheless. Early in the second season, I rapidly lost interest, and never got any further with it. Maybe I'll come back to that, but it didn't provide me with either fascination or joy.

    Doomsday Clock definitely leaves room for more comment, although in part, the interest was in how it would shape things going forward. Now it seems that the answer to that is: Minimally, and I think this change in creative direction retroactively downgraded the relevance of the series considerably. It's still a fine standalone work; perhaps I will give it a re-read now without paying much attention to the angle of where it is leading DC Comics.

    ReplyDelete